Almost 250 pupils from schools across Brecon joined in the 200th anniversary celebrations of the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal last week by taking part in a number of activities.
The children were invited last week (Monday 21 to Friday 25 May) to take part in a day of hands-on activities based on its history and environment.
At Brecon Library, pupils learned about the history of the Canal and had a go at building arch bridges with staff from Brecknock Museum and Art Gallery. They also found out how to research local history using library resources with the help of library staff.
Down by the canal, pupils explored the flora and fauna of the environment with British Waterways staff and volunteers and used sweep nets and water trays for bug hunting.
Alison Crawshaw, Canal Anniversary Co-ordinator, said: “The week was a great success with a real variety of activities to help the children learn about different aspects of the Canal’s history and environment.
“I would like to thank British Waterways staff and volunteers, Brecon Library, Brecknock Museum and Art Gallery and Theatr Brycheiniog for providing a fun-packed day.”
The celebrations are continuing through half-term with family activities running from Wednesday 6 to Friday 8 June, including:
- a free family history surgery at Brecon Library between 10am-12pm on the 6, 7 and 8 June
- Canal craft activities at Brecon Library on 6 June from 2-4.30pm and on 7 June from 10-11.30am (cost £1 per child - please book on 01874 623346)
- Canal art painting on canvas/masks at Ardent Gallery on 6 and 7 June between 11am-1pm (£4.50 per head – please book on 01874 623333)
- a Brecknock Wildlife Trust walk and talk long the Canal and River on 7 June from 1-3.30pm (adults £3/children free - meet at Morrison’s garage bridge – park at Subud Centre – no booking required)
- Canal art face painting at Ardent Gallery on 8 June 10am-4pm (£2 per child – drop-in)
For more information on these and other anniversary events visit www.facebook.com/MonmouthshireandBreconCanal or contact Alison Crawshaw on 01874 636671 or email email@example.com