Business Rates On Empty Properties
An empty property with a rateable value of less than £2,600 will be exempt from paying Business Rates from 1st April 2011. Please note that The Welsh Assembly Government have reduced this from the £18,000 temporary increased limit which applied in 2010/11
- If the property is an industrial unit they are exempt from Business Rates for 6 months from the date of vacation. After the 6 month rate free period expires the full rate charge then applies.
- If the property is a non-industrial unit they are exempt from Business Rates for 3 months from the date of vacation. After the 3 month rate free period expires the full rate charge then applies
Empty properties with a rateable value of over £18,000 will receive the following exemption from Business Rates:
Other categories of properties that are exempt on the grounds that they are empty are:
- Where the owner is entitled to possession of the property only in the capacity as the personal representative of a deceased person.
- Where the owner is a liquidator or a trustee under a deed of arrangement or the owner is subject to a bankruptcy order, or as a company is subject to winding up order or an administration order.
- Where the property is a listed building or where it is the subject of a building preservation notice or it is scheduled as an ancient monument
- Where a property is kept empty due to action taken by or on behalf of the Crown or any local or public authority with a view to prohibiting occupation or to acquiring it.
- Where occupation is prohibited by law.
- Unoccupied properties owned and likely to be next occupied by charities and Community Amateur Sports Clubs.
How to Apply
If you believe you qualify for Empty Rate Relief please contact The Revenues Section