Business Rates On Empty Properties
An empty property with a rateable value of less than £2,600 will be exempt from paying Business Rates from 1st April 2011. Please note that The Welsh Assembly Government have reduced this from the £18,000 temporary increased limit which applied in 2010/11
- If the property is an industrial unit they are exempt from Business Rates for 6 months from the date of vacation. After the 6 month rate free period expires the full rate charge then applies.
- If the property is a non-industrial unit they are exempt from Business Rates for 3 months from the date of vacation. After the 3 month rate free period expires the full rate charge then applies
- Where the owner is entitled to possession of the property only in the capacity as the personal representative of a deceased person.
- Where the owner is a liquidator or a trustee under a deed of arrangement or the owner is subject to a bankruptcy order, or as a company is subject to winding up order or an administration order.
- Where the property is a listed building or where it is the subject of a building preservation notice or it is scheduled as an ancient monument
- Where a property is kept empty due to action taken by or on behalf of the Crown or any local or public authority with a view to prohibiting occupation or to acquiring it.
- Where occupation is prohibited by law.
- Unoccupied properties owned and likely to be next occupied by charities and Community Amateur Sports Clubs.
If you believe you qualify for Empty Rate Relief please contact The Revenues Section