Applying for Building Regulations


They are legal requirements laid down by Parliament, aimed at achieving adequate standards of building work for the construction of domestic, commercial and industrial buildings. They aim to secure the health and safety of people in or about buildings. They are also concerned with energy conservation and access and facilities for disabled people in public and commercial buildings.

Do I need Building Regulations?

If you want to:

  • put up a new building or extend or alter an existing one,
  • provide fittings such as drains or heat-producing appliances, or
  • provide washing and sanitary facilities or hot water storage, or
  • install replacement double glazing,

then Building Regulations will probably apply. They may also apply to certain changes of use of an existing building, or if your work could have implications for an adjacent property. Please contact us before commencing any building work, so that we may determine whether the Regulations apply.

How do I apply for Building Regulations?

If your building work is subject to Building Regulations, you complete the Application for Building Regulations Approval form.

There are two methods of applying:

  • The deposit of Full Plans, or
  • The giving of a Building Notice.

Electronic submission (Submit a plan)

Electronic Applications – The Fast & Efficient Option

Send in you next Building Control application online by visiting  is the Local Authority Building Control (LABC) portal that enables anyone, with access to the web, to submit applications electronically to Local Authorities across the country free of charge. 

It is fast and efficient option compared to printing and posting and will help to reduce your carbon footprint.

Main Benefits of Electronic Submission

  1. Free of charge to use.
  2. Open 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
  3. No printing or postage required.
  4. To register and submit applications is simple.
  5. Applications can be managed and tracked online.
  6. Reduces your carbon footprint.

What is the difference?

Full plans

For a Full Plans application, plans need to be produced showing all constructional details, preferably well before you begin building. The application will be thoroughly checked by us, and we may request amendments to the plans prior to approval being given. We may add conditions to an approval, with your written agreement.

Building Notice

With the Building Notice procedure, the building work will be inspected as it proceeds. You will be advised by the Building Control Surveyor if, at any stage, the work is found not to comply with the Regulations. However, if we require any further information about your proposal either before the commencement date or during building, you will be asked to supply us with the details requested. You must feel confident that the work will comply with the Regulations or you risk having to correct it at the request of the Council.

Please read the Building Regulation Guidance Notes - A Guide to Completing Your Application Form beforehand.

How much will it cost?

A Full Plans application involves a two-stage payment, one at the time you submit your plans (Plan Charge) and the other following the first site inspection (Inspection Charge). For a Building Notice application, the full charge is payable upon giving of the Notice.  The charge applicable to a Building Notice application is 20% higher than that for a Full Plans application (plan charge plus inspection charge).

Charges for Building Regulation Applications submitted after 4th Jan 2011 (VAT @ 20%)

New Domestic Dwellings

36 K

Domestic Extensions and Alterations

36 K

All other work

33 K

Small Non-Domestic Work

32 K

Please contact us if you have any questions regarding the charges.

Completion Certificates

You should request that your Building Control Surveyor carries out a Final Inspection prior to the contractor leaving the site and prior to you finalising payment for the project. Should all works be satisfactory you will receive a Completion Certificate which can be placed with your deeds for future reference.