Free school meals & help with school clothing

image of some pasta

If you are on a low income, we can help you with the cost of school meals for any pupil in full time education. We can also help you with clothing costs if you have a child who is moving up to Year 7 at school.

If you register for free school meals, even if your child decides never to have a school lunch, you can:

  • Save up to £400 a year for each primary school child
  • Help your school and other schools in Powys to benefit from funding because you have registered
  • Registering for Free School Meals might also qualify you for other help and assistance.

To register is easy and confidential. You don’t have to tell the school.

If your child decides to have the school meal on any day they just have the meal provided. Many schools have systems which mean it is impossible for other pupils to know who is receiving free school meals.

To get free meals in Powys schools, the parents/carers must get one of the following:

  1. Income Support
  2. Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
  3. If you are an Asylum Seeker getting support under the Immigration and Asylum Act.
  4. State Pension Guaranteed Credit
  5. Employment and Support Allowance – Income based
  6. Child Tax Credit - as long as you are not getting an amount for childcare paid with your CTC, or getting Working Tax Credit. HM Revenue & Customs must also have worked out your household income as £16,190 a year or less.

You can also get free school meals if you are entitled to a Working Tax Credit 'run-on' payment for four weeks after stopping work or reducing working hours to under 16 hours a week.

If your child is eligible for free school meals, you can also get a school uniform grant when they start Year 7 at high school or who go to a special school, special needs resource base or pupil referral unit and are aged 11 at the start of the school year.

We find eligible pupils using the free school meals records. We will then get in touch with parents/carers about the school uniform grant.

If your child doesn’t currently get free school meals, please fill in and return the application form.

If your child is transferring to a school outside Powys, please apply to the authority that maintains the school.

How to register

  1. If you already get Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction, you don't need to fill in a form. Just contact us and we will do the rest.
  2. If you're going to apply for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction, we can sort out free school meals & clothing grants at the same time.
  3. You can also just register for free school meals and clothing grants by completing the simple form below online and clicking submit

Complete the Free school meals & clothing grant form online

If you need any help, please contact us.