Flooding alerts & advice

For latest news, flooding, power cuts, travel and weather: View national advice from the UK Government.

For flood enquires and information about your property contact Natural Resources Wales:

  • General enquiry & incident line -  03000 65 3000
  • Floodline - 0345 988 1188

For flood enquiries and information about roads and transport contact the Highways Helpdesk:

  • 0845 602 7035
  • 01597 827465

Websites with more information and guidance:

National advice from the UK Government

Natural Resources Wales Website

Land registry - Flood Risk Indicator

Flood Forecasting centre

BBC Weather

Met Office

Traffic Wales

Protecting your home against storm damage - Sainsbury's bank

Preliminary Flood Risk Assessment (PFRA)

Powys County Council, as the Lead Local Flood Authority (LLFA) is required by the Flood Risk Regulations (2009) and EU Floods Directive 2007/60/EC to review its Preliminary Flood Risk Assessment (PFRA) prepared in December 2011.  The findings of this review can be found on the attached Addendum report:

Preliminary Flood Risk Assessment (PFRA) Addendum Report

The Environment Agency is responsible for approving and publishing the December 2011 PFRA documents. These can be found here.

Flooding from a sewer or water main

If a flood is caused by a burst water main or from a sewer, please get in touch with the relevant utility company for your area:

Report a leak to Severn Trent Water

Report a leak to Dwr Cymru Welsh Water

We are responsible for

  • developing a strategy for managing local flood risk
  • keeping a register of flood risk management assets
  • investigating flooding incidents; and issuing Land Drainage Consents for works on ordinary watercourses, including Enforcement.

You can ask to look at the register listing the location of features and assets included in the significant risk asset register by contacting our Land Drainage Team by email land.drainage@powys.gov.uk

Investigating flooding incidents

By law, we must investigate:

  • which organisations have relevant flood risk management functions
  • whether each of those organisations has carried out, or is proposing to carry out, those functions in response to the flood.

When we’ve made an investigation we must:

  • publish the results of the investigation
  • notify any relevant organisations.

Report Flooding

  1.   email, or telephone number are required

Floodline - 0345 988 1188

Sign up to floodline and get 24 hour flood warnings by phone, text or email.

The best way to reduce the risk of flooding to your home and protect your property is by having a flood plan. Further advice and information can be found at:

A flood plan can help you act quickly and make practical decisions in the event of a flood. Your flood plan should contain useful contact details of organisations like Floodline and your insurance and utility companies.

View land drainage improvement works notices 

Flood plans

The Environment Agency have provided a Personal Flood Plan and a leaflet for more practical advice on what to do before, during and after a flood.

Download the Personal Flood Plan

Download the flood leaflet

Main rivers

Main rivers are usually larger streams and rivers. However, they do include some smaller watercourses.

The Natural Resources Wales is responsible for main rivers, and has a number of powers to manage them.

Ordinary watercourses 

An ordinary watercourse is a river, stream, ditch, drain, cut, dyke, sluice and passage through which water flows and which does not form part of a main river.

Powys County Council is the local land drainage authority and has a number of powers under the Land Drainage Act 1991. 

See also our page about Ordinary Watercourses: Applying for consent for works.

Riparian ownership

If you have an ordinary watercourse or a main river running through your land or along the boundary of your property you are likely to be the riparian owner, unless the watercourse is known to be owned by someone else.

Further information on the rights and responsibilities of a riparian owner can be found in the Environment Agency’s booklet ‘Living on the Edge".

View land drainage improvement works notices