Tell us Once

When someone dies, there are lots of things that need to be done at a time when you probably least feel like doing them. We hope our Tell us Once service will make things easier.

Tell us in person

If you would like to come and speak to someone, please call 0845 602 7038 or 01597 827468 to make an appointment. You need to have registered the death before you see us. If it helps, you can usually make appointments to see the Registrar and use Tell Us Once on the same visit.


You may prefer to speak to someone on the phone. You can call the Department for Work and Pensions. Please call 0845 602 7038 or 01597 827468 for further information.

Tell us Once

We can help you to give the information to the Department for Work and Pensions and they can pass it on to a number of other government and local council services for you.

You can just tell us once, and all those organisations will be contacted.

To make sure we give the right information to any organisations we contact for you, please bring with you the following information about the person who has died:

  • Their National Insurance number and date of birth for a surviving husband, wife or civil partner and their Blue Badge
  • Details of any benefits or services they were receiving
  • Their death certificate
  • Their Driving Licence or Driving Licence number
  • Their Passport or Passport number and town/country of birth

We may also ask you for the contact details for:

  • Their next of kin
  • A surviving husband, wife or civil partner
  • The person dealing with their estate

You must get the permission of the people listed above if you are going to provide us with information about them.

If you decide to use this service we will be able to tell the following organisations:

• Department for Work and Pensions

Pension, Disability and Carers Service

Jobcentre Plus

Overseas Health Team

• Ministry of Defence, Service Personnel and Veterans Agency

War Pensions Scheme

• HM Revenue and Customs

Child Benefit

Child Tax Credit & Working Tax Credit

Personal Taxation

• Identity and Passport Service

• Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency

You can also ask us to tell these organisations:

• Local Councils

Council Housing

Council Tax 


Blue Badges

Adult Services

Children’s Services

Collection of payment for council services

Electoral services

The information you give will be treated securely and confidentially.

The organisations who are contacted will use the information to update records; to end services, benefits and credits as appropriate; and to resolve any outstanding issues. They may use this information in other ways, but only as the law allows.

Next of Kin

If you are the next of kin (closest relative by blood or marriage to the deceased), your entitlement to benefits may change, so please have your own National Insurance number and/or date of birth with you when you contact us.

If you are not the next of kin, or the person who is dealing with the deceased’s estate (the person sorting out their property, belongings and money), you can still use the service if you have their permission to provide their details and act on their behalf.


Call charges