Report too much noise

Noise pollution is caused by unwanted sound and it causes annoyance, irritation and disturbed sleep.

The Environmental Health Service have legal powers to deal with noise problems and can deal with noise complaints from:

  • Domestic sources, e.g. barking dogs, amplified music, DIY noise.
  • Industrial sources, e.g. noisy fans, generators.
  • Commercial sources, e.g. noise from entertainment venues.
  • Construction sites, e.g. noise from building/demolition works.
  • Certain noise in streets from vehicles, loudspeakers, machinery and equipment.
  • Intruder alarms sounding for more than 20 minutes or going off on a regular basis

As well as dealing with complaints about noise we also do a lot of preventative work to stop noise pollution occurring, including:

  • Assessment of the impact of noise of new developments under the Planning process.
  • Consultation on Licensing Act 2003 applications and variations to prevent public nuisance.
  • Prior Consent for Construction/Demolition works.

Educational campaigns e.g. Noise Action Day

Noise problems are often best resolved by having a chat with the neighbour concerned. It may be that they don’t know that they are causing you a problem. If you let them know that the noise is bothering you, they have an opportunity to deal with the noise without you needing to make a formal complaint.

There may be occasions when you don’t want to approach a neighbour directly and if so, you can make a complaint about noise nuisance to the council.

Complaints can be made to Environmental Health in the following ways:

  • Online
  • in person at our offices
  • by telephone
  • by letter
  • by e-mail.

Your complaint should include the following information:

  • Your name and address and (where possible) a daytime phone number.
  • The address (or site) where the noise is coming from and the type of noise.
  • When the noise occurs and how long for.
  • How the noise affects you (e.g. stops you from sleeping).
  • Anything you have done to try and deal with the problem (e.g. speaking to the person making the noise).
  • Any information on landlord details [if relevant].

We won’t tell anyone who made the complaint.

A council officer will contact you to discuss the problem. The officer will explain how your complaint will be investigated and the options that may be available to solve the problem.

The officer may visit your property to witness the noise you’re complaining about. In order to schedule visits at the times that the noise is most likely to be happening, you may be asked to complete a log sheet, noting when the noise occurs. The officer may also install noise recording equipment at your property as part of the investigation. We may need to hear the noise a number of times to establish if a nuisance exists.

We won’t tell anyone who made the complaint.  However, when an investigation starts the person making the noise may guess who complained, and you should be prepared for this.

The officer will look at all the evidence and decide whether the noise satisfies the legal definition of a statutory nuisance. If so, the person responsible for the noise will be served with an Abatement Notice under Section 80 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990. This notice can request that the noise be reduced or stopped, we may ask for work to be carried out to reduce noise pollution. The person will be allowed a reasonable amount of time to comply, and someone who is served with an Abatement Notice may appeal to the Magistrates Court.

If they don’t comply with a Notice, they have committed an offence and may be prosecuted. Witnesses are needed for prosecution to take place and the complainants may be asked to appear in court. We can’t make a witness appear in court but it may be difficult to mount a successful case without the complainant being present.

If we can’t find enough evidence of the noise to take action, you can take private action under Section 82 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990. Council officers will be able to provide advice on this.

Council officers can give specific advice on how not to cause a nuisance to your neighbours.  Some examples are:

  • Don't put speakers on the walls
  • Make sure you can hear the doorbell over the music or TV
  • Keep volume levels low late at night
  • Let your neighbours know if you’re having a party
  • Don’t leave your dog on its own for long periods of time
  • If your dog is barking, see why and quieten it
  • Don’t use your washing machine or tumble dryer late at night

Report noise with the App

Noise app

The App is for use with mobile phones or tablets

  1. Download the app from or search online for ‘The Noise App RHE’ at Google Play or the Apple App Store.

  2. Create your account and choose "Powys County Council" to investigate your noise nuisance reports.

  3. To report a nuisance simply tap the icon, make a 30-second recording of the noise, complete a form and submit your report online.

  4. Await response from the council.

Or use our online form

Report noise using this form  (Opens in a new window)


Call charges