Advice about animal health

Image of a lamb

There are strict rules about how farm animals should be moved to prevent the spread of disease. Each animal must be identifiable, so that their movements can be checked.

If there’s an outbreak of disease, knowing the precise location of all livestock is essential if we’re going to be able to take effective steps to control and wipe out highly contagious viruses.

There are strict rules controlling the identification and movements of livestock to try and stop disease spreading. These rules apply to you even if you only keep one animal of the species covered by these rules.

Animal movement licence documents are available to download from the Welsh Assembly Government Website.

The animal movement rules apply to people taking animals to agricultural shows. We’ve produced a guidance leaflet for show organisers explaining the rules – this will also be relevant if you’re taking livestock to shows

The Food Standards Agency has issued guidance on this legislation.

Further information about animal by-products requirements is available from the Welsh Assembly Government website.

Image of a kitten and a puppy

The Animal Welfare Act 2006 gives councils powers and responsibilities to deal with the welfare of farmed and pet animals. The responsibility for pet animals is shared with the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA). In general, the RSPCA take responsibility for domestic or pet animals.

You can report concerns about the welfare of animals to our offices, or to the RSPCA.

If you see dead livestock, please report them.

Road Casualties

If you see livestock carcases  on the highway or road verge, please report this, and we will arrange collection and disposal of the carcases.

Fallen Livestock on Private Land

All livestock carcases found on private land should be reported to the Trading Standards Service who will investigate and arrange for disposal of the carcases by the farmer/landowner.

A series of guidance leaflets relating to animal health and welfare is available from our business advice page.

General information is also available from:

Department for the Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA)

National Helpline: 0845 0504141

Welsh Government

You can get more information and advice by calling the Trading Standards licensing office:

Tel: 01874 624704

Fax: 01874 611789

Our Responsibilities

We have a duty to:

  • Protect the health and welfare of animals on farms, in transit and at markets
  • Protect the health and welfare of pets
  • Prevent, control and wipe out animal diseases
  • Make sure that animal movements can be traced to safeguard human and animal health from transmitted disease
  • Make sure that animal feeds are produced, transported, stored and used hygienically
  • Make sure that plants and animals which will enter the food chain are protected from contamination which may harm human health

We also deal with the licensing of boarding kennels and catteries, dog breeding, riding stables, zoos, and animals which need a licence under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act.


Call charges