Apply for building regulations approval

Important Notice

From the 18th June Powys Building Control will be undergoing a transition from its existing back office computer system to a new IT platform supplied by IDOX Solutions Ltd. The transitional work to the new system is expected to take a few weeks to complete.

During this period building control may have limited access to information particularly relating to older applications. This will not affect your ability to submit building regulation applications or request site inspections. However, if you presently submit applications to us using our Dataspace on line platform then please contact us to discuss an alternative method of submitting applications on line.

What’s New?

We are pleased to announce that our new IT platform will include new functionality for our customers such as the submission of online applications through our new application portal and also a new public access register where customers and the public can view the nature and status of current and historic building regulation applications on-line. Further information on these enhancements to our service will be communicated in due course.

To make your experience of submitting a building regulation application easier we encourage applicants to submit applications electronically. If you would like to submit electronically you have 2 options available.

Option 1

You can submit an application on line using the  Submit-a-Plan' portal.

If you are not aware of Submit-a-Plan or are unsure about the benefits of submitting electronically then please visit their web site.

For further information on using Submit a Plan please contact us on 01874 612290

Option 2

Alternatively you can use our own on-line building notice and full plans forms below

Before making your application on line please ensure that you are aware of our fees and charges.

Go to the LABC website

You can either make a Building Notice application or you can make a Full Plans application.
Click the tabs below to find out more.

This is simpler than submitting full plans, but you can only use this method for domestic properties. Follow these steps:

  1. Complete the building notice or application form. Plans of your proposal or detailed calculations may be required at a later date.
  2. Decide on the date you will start the work and let us know.
  3. If you have any questions, contact us for an informal discussion about your proposals.
  4. Check the Scheme of Charges guidance note to find the building notice charge you’ll need to pay.

Benefits of Building Notices

It is a good idea to use a Building Notice where the proposed work is not too extensive or complex, but beware – complex or unusual designs such as loft conversions often require additional information such as detailed design drawings and structural engineer’s calculations – any delay in supplying this information can slow the progress of work and we strongly recommend that all design solutions are agreed before work begins.

Building Notice procedure

With the Building Notice procedure, the building work will be inspected as it proceeds. You will be advised by the Building Control Surveyor if, at any stage, the work is found not to comply with the Regulations. However, if we need any further information about your proposal either before you start or during building, we’ll ask you for details. You must feel confident that the work will comply with the Regulations – if it doesn’t, we may ask you to correct it.

This method of notification (full plans) can be used for all types of building. If you use this method you should follow these steps:

  1. Draw scaled plans. Include full specifications. You may wish to engage an architect or surveyor.
  2. Complete the application form.
  3. If you have any questions, contact us for an informal discussion about your proposals.
  4. Check the Scheme of Charges guidance note to find the plan fee and inspection fee you’ll need to pay. 

Benefits of the Full Plan

  • We will advise you on the Building Regulations at the design stage of your project, which means your plans are more likely to be passed with minimal delay.
  • We will give you a decision within three weeks.
  • You will be sent a copy of the approved plan for your records.

Full Plans procedure

For a Full Plans application, you need to have plans produced, showing all constructional details, preferably well before you begin building. We will check the application thoroughly, and we may ask for amendments to the plans before we give approval. We may add conditions to an approval, with your written agreement.

For any work that is taking place near a boundary or neighbouring property, view the Building work near boundaries and neighbours page.


Online Applications

Building notice application  (Opens in a new window)

Submit a plan (opens in new window)

Full plans application  (Opens in a new window)

Telephone Application

We also take telephone applications.

Please call us to discuss on: 01874 612290

Send your application to the address below:

Building Control
Neuadd Brycheiniog
Cambrian Way


Our Building Standards consultancy team

Building Regulations will probably apply if you want to:

  • Put up a new building or extend or alter an existing one
  • Provide fittings such as drains or heat-producing appliances
  • Provide washing and sanitary facilities or hot water storage
  • Install replacement double glazing
  • Change the buildings use
  • Removing an internal load bearing wall

They may also apply to certain changes of use of an existing building, or if your work could have implications for an adjacent property. Please contact us before you start any building work, so that we can decide whether the Regulations apply.

You can also use the Planning Portal's Interactive House to see if you need building regulations approval.

Change of use

  • When a building that was not previously a dwelling is used as one.
  • Where a building contains a flat when it didn’t before.
  • When a building is used as a hotel, hospital, residential home or boarding house when it didn’t before.
  • When a building becomes a public building (e.g. school, theatre, hall, church) when it didn’t before.
  • When a the number of dwellings in a residential building changes
  • When a building which was exempt from the requirements of the regulations, is no longer exempt.

Competent Person Scheme

If you intend to use a Competent Person Scheme for works such as: electrics, boilers and windows, you do not need to make a Building Regulation application to us.

A Full Plans application involves a two-stage payment, one payment when you submit your plans (Plan Charge) and the other following the first site inspection (Inspection Charge).

For a Building Notice application, the full charge is payable when you give the Notice. 

For a Regularisation the cost will be 140% of the Building Notice fee excluding VAT.

Fees payable for new dwellings (pdf)

Fees payable for domestic extensions and alterations (pdf)

Fees payable for all other work based on cost of work (pdf)

Fees payable for other charges (pdf)

Instead of our advertised fees, you can ask us for a quotation. Please contact us using the number on this page.

You are required to tell us when the works have finished so that we can undertake a final inspection and issue a completion certificate.

We recommend that your Building Control Surveyor carries out a Final Inspection before the contractor leaves the site and before you finalise payment for the project. 

For final inspections carried out six months after the works were completed, an additional charge may be incurred.

If a replacement Building Regulations Completion certificate is required you should contact Building Control. A fee of £35 will be payable and can be taken over the phone. The replacement certificate can then either be posted or emailed to you and/or your solicitor.



You don’t have to wait for the plans to be passed before you start work, however, having them passed gives you some protection against unnecessary costs. After you have given us a Building Notice or sent us plans you can start work provided you contact us and arrange for a surveyor to inspect. Information may be requested to justify certain items (e.g. structural calculations for timber beams and steelwork).

If you proceed with the work without having notified us you may be asked to open the works up so that the Building Control surveyor can check whether it complies with the Regulations. Our Building Control surveyor will work closely with your contractor to ensure your project runs smoothly, on time and in compliance with the Building Regulations.

Go to the LABC-warranty website


Providing complete support for structural warranty and building control needs. Whether the development is residential or non-residential, there are a range of structural warranties to suit.