Premises and personal licences

Beer - premises licences

If your business sells alcohol or provides entertainment or late night food or drink, you need a premises licence.  Large one-off events may need premises licences too.

If you sell alcohol, you need at least one person to be a personal licence holder. This person must be named on the premises licence as the responsible person and is known as the Designated Premises Supervisor.

The following people can apply for a premises licence:

  • anyone who runs a business in the premises
  • a charity
  • any other permitted person

You must be 18 years old or over to apply.

Changes of address & lost licenses

Following the Deregulation Act 2015 Personal Licences no longer expire. If you hold a personal licence and you change your address you must notify the authority that issued your licence as soon as reasonably practicable.

Failure to notify a change of address is an offence.

To notify us of a change of address on a personal licence issued by Powys County Council you can apply here, the fee for this is £10.50

If you have lost your personal licence and require a replacement you can apply here, the fee for this is £10.50

Please note that Powys County Council can only update or replace personal licences issued by them. If your personal licence was issued by another authority then you must contact that authority about a replacement.

Pay annual fee

If you already have a licence and nothing has changed this year, you can

Pay your annual fee

You must tell us about any changes - see dedicated section on this page.

Did you know: If you have a legal interest in a property, we can keep you informed about licence applications if you notify us (under section 178 of the Licensing Act).

If the premises are in Powys, you will need to apply to us. Applications must be in a specific format. We’ll also need to see an operating schedule, a plan of the premises and a form of consent from the premises supervisor.

An operating schedule includes details of:

  • the licensable activities
  • the times when the activities will take place
  • any other times when the premises will be open to the public
  • the period the licence is required for
  • information about the premises supervisor
  • whether alcohol sold is to be drunk on or off the premises
  • any other relevant information.

You must pay a fee when you first apply for your premises licence. If it’s granted, you then pay yearly fees, based on the rateable value of the premises.

There is no time limit on a premises licence (unless you ask for one). It lasts until you decide to give it up unless you break the terms and the licence is revoked.

Application forms

Apply online using the links below.  The links take you to another government website.

Apply for a premises licence

Apply for a personal license

Apply for a provisional statement

Pay your annual fee

You must tell us about any changes - see dedicated section on this page.

You can also get application forms from us using the contact details on this page. Please complete the form and return it with the fee to the area licensing office.

You will be charged a fee for this licence.

Licence fees and charges

It usually takes between one and three months from the start of the application.

When you make your application, you must put a notice on the premises and a notice in the local press. There will then be a consultation period of 28 days for authorities, local residents and businesses to support or object to the application after thinking about the following:

  • prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • prevention of public nuisance
  • child protection.

If objections are made against an application which cannot be resolved, then the application will be heard by our licensing committee.  The hearing must be carried out within 20 working days from the end of the consultation period.

The committee will consider the application and the evidence. They can decide to grant the licence, change the conditions, exclude an activity from the licence, refuse to specify a Designated Premises Supervisor on the licence or reject the application. We’ll let you and the police know about the decision we make about your licence.


You can make an appeal, and so can anyone who made representation to the application if they are not happy with our decision.  Any appeal must be made to local Magistrates' Court within 21 days of the date you are told about our decision.




A review is the process for re-visiting a licence that has already been issued. It allows a responsible authority or other person such as a local resident to make an application to the Licensing Authority for a review of a premises licence or club premises certificate because of issues arising at the premises in connection with any of the four licensing objectives that are:

  • The prevention of crime and disorder
  • Public safety
  • The protection of children from harm
  • The prevention of public nuisance 

A hearing will be held where the licence holder and other interested parties may make representations.

The police can also object to a transfer of the licence if they believe that the transfer could make crime prevention more difficult. This notice must be given within 14 days of receiving notification of the application.

Anyone who made representations may appeal if we grant a licence or against any condition, variation, activity or premises supervisor decisions.


Did you know: If you're only making make small changes to the situation described in the licence, you can apply for a minor variation.

You can also get application forms from us using the contact details on this page. Please complete the form and return it with the fee to the area licensing office.

You will be charged a fee for some of these changes.

Licence fees and charges


Call charges