Club licences

Golf - club licences

Clubs are organisations where members have joined together for social, sporting or political purposes and buy alcohol in bulk to supply in the club.  A club premises certificate authorises a club to carry out club activities such as supplying alcohol and providing entertainment.

Clubs have special licence requirements as technically they only sell alcohol by retail to guests, as alcohol stock is owned by the members. Visitors to a club may be supplied with alcohol as long as they are genuine guests of a member of the club or the club collectively.

A qualifying club must fulfil these conditions:

  • a person may not be given membership or membership privileges within two days of their application for membership
  • the club must be established and conducted in good faith
  • the club must have at least 25 members
  • alcohol is only supplied to members on the premises by the club

Additional conditions about the supply of alcohol are:

  • alcohol supplied by the club must be purchased by members of club who are over 18 years old and have been elected to do so by the members
  • nobody receives any commission, payment or other financial benefit when they purchase alcohol for the club.

Registered industrial and provident societies and friendly societies qualify if alcohol is purchased for and supplied by the club under the control of the members. Relevant miners' welfare institutes can also be considered. To find out whether your institute is eligible, please contact us.

More information about licensing

There is no time-limit on the certificate (unless you ask for one). It lasts until you decide to give it up or you break the terms and the certificate is revoked.

Applications for premises in Powys should be made to us. They must be in a specific format and should be sent with a plan of the premises, the rules of the club and a club operating schedule, which should include the following information:

  • the activities of the club
  • the times the activities are to take place
  • other opening times
  • if alcohol supplies are to be drunk on or off the premises
  • any other relevant information.

We may inspect your premises before we consider your application.

You’ll need to pay a fee when you first apply for your Club Premises Certificate. If it is granted, you then pay yearly fees based on the rateable value of the premises.

Application forms

Apply online using the links below.  The links take you to another government website.

Apply for a new club premises certificate

Pay annual fee

You must tell us about any changes - see dedicated section on this page.

You can also get application forms from us using the contact details on this page. Please complete the form and return it with the fee to the area licensing office.

You will be charged a fee for this licence.

Licence fees and charges

It usually takes between one and three months from the start of application.

When you make your application, you must put a notice on the premises and a notice in the local press. There will then be a consultation period of 28 days for authorities, local residents and businesses to support or object to the application after thinking about the following:

  • prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • prevention of public nuisance
  • child protection.

If objections are made against an application which cannot be resolved, then the application will be heard by our licensing committee.  The hearing must be carried out within 20 working days of the end of the consultation period.

The committee will consider the application and the evidence it hears.  They can decide to grant the certificate, change the conditions, exclude an activity from the certificate, suspend the certificate or withdraw the certificate.

An interested party is:

  • a person living near the premises
  • a person involved in a business near the premises.

Any interested party may give us their views and make objections to an application. If this happens, a hearing will be held. If you make an objection, you’ll be told if the application fails.

You can make an appeal, and so can anyone who objected to to the application if they are unhappy with our decision. An appeal must be made to local Magistrates' Court within 21 days of the date you are told about our decision.

Once the licence is granted

If there are any changes to the rules or name of the club you must give us the details.

If a certificate is in place and the registered address of the club changes, you must tell us.

You may apply to us to vary a certificate. Please send the certificate with the application.

Consumer complaints

If you have a complaint about a business with a club premises certificate, please contact us using the details on this page.

Once we’ve granted a certificate, an interested party may appeal if they feel that the application should have been refused or that we should have set conditions or limitations on the club’s activities. They can also appeal against a review decision.

Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision.

Any club member or interested party may ask us to review the certificate. We will share our response to these requests in a notice. You can appeal against the decision of a review.

Did you know: If you're only making make small changes to the situation described in the licence, you can apply for a minor variation.


Call charges