Pleasure Boat licences

Boat - pleasure boat licences

You will normally need a licence to hire out boats for public use (e.g. rowing boats and canoes).

How to apply

Please use the links on this page to apply, or ask us for an application form using the details on this page.

If you haven’t heard from us within 14 calendar days of submitting your request, please contact us using the details on this page.


If you’re unhappy about our decision, please contact us to discuss it.

Consumer complaints

If you have a complaint about a boat hire business, please contact your local office using the details on this page.

Application forms

Apply online using the links below.  The links take you to another government website.

Apply for a boat hire licence

Change a boat hire licence

You can also get an application form from us using the contact details on this page.  Please complete the form and return it with the fee to the area licensing office.

You will be charged a fee for this licence.

Licence fees and charges



Call charges