Petroleum spirit licences

Petrol pump - petroleum licences

We licence petroleum spirit to make sure those keeping and dispensing petroleum do so safely, protecting the public and the environment.

For licensing purposes 'petroleum' is any product of crude petroleum which has a flashpoint below 21°C. It includes petrol, benzene and pentane but does not include white spirit, paraffin, diesel oil or fuel oils.

Filling stations (retail and non-retail) that store more than 15 litres of petroleum spirit need a licence.

This includes commercial sites and farms that have storage tanks for petrol and from which petrol is dispensed, either mechanically or electrically, into the fuel tank of any internal combustion engine (note that this is a much wider definition than just a motor vehicle).

If you haven’t heard from us within 14 calendar days of sending your request, please contact us using the details on this page.

The fee for a licence depends on the quantity of petroleum spirit stored. Licences are issued for a site/premises and are normally valid for one year; they are transferable, although you must pay a fee to transfer a licence.

Application forms

Fill in an application online using the links below.  The links take you to another government website.

Apply for a petroleum storage licence

Change a petroleum storage licence

Apply to transfer a petroleum storage licence

Apply to renew a petroleum storage licence

You can also get application forms from us using the contact details on this page.  Please complete the form and return it with the fee to the area licensing office.

You will be charged a fee for this licence.

Licence fees and charges


If you’re unhappy with our decision about your licence application, please contact us to discuss it.

If an application is refused you can appeal to the Secretary of State.

Consumer complaints

If you as a private individual have a complaint about a business operating under this licence, please contact the trader first – preferably by letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked and you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.


Call charges