Privately Rented Accommodation

If you’re renting property, your landlord is not obliged to keep it in perfect condition, however there are some legal standards that need to be met.

Do you rent out a property in Wales?

Landlords and agents are now required by law to be registered or licenced. Does this apply to me? - read more.

If you have an issue with your rented property that is dangerous or harmful to your health e.g. no heating or electrical hazards, you should initially ask your landlord to repair it. If the landlord fails to act or the problem persists, you may report it to us and we will send an officer to inspect your home. We will then be required to work with the landlord to resolve the issue.

If you require immediate assistance e.g. there is a strong smell of gas or faulty electrics, phone the relevant emergency number for those services.


We can inspect homes using the “Housing Health and Safety Rating System” to identify defects that may pose a risk to your health & wellbeing.

Enforcement and Complaints



Advice Form