Privately Rented Accommodation

If you’re renting property, your landlord is not obliged to keep it in perfect condition, however there are some legal standards that need to be met.

Do you rent out a property in Wales?

Landlords and agents are now required by law to be registered or licenced. Does this apply to me? - read more.

If you have an issue with your rented property that is dangerous or harmful to your health e.g. no heating or electrical hazards, you should initially ask your landlord to repair it. If the landlord fails to act or the problem persists, you may report it to us and we will send an officer to inspect your home. We will then be required to work with the landlord to resolve the issue.

If you require immediate assistance e.g. there is a strong smell of gas or faulty electrics, phone the relevant emergency number for those services.

We can inspect homes using the “Housing Health and Safety Rating System” to identify defects that may pose a risk to your health & wellbeing.

Enforcement and Complaints

ECO-Flex: Grant Towards Domestic Energy Efficiency Improvements

The Energy Company Obligation (ECO) is a grant scheme allowing energy efficiency improvements for customers in fuel poverty.

The Council has published a statement of intent v0.1 allowing delivery of this scheme in Powys.

If your home (rented or owner-occupied) is energy inefficient and you spend 10% or more of your income on fuel (or are on benefits) you may be entitled to a grant for home energy efficiency measures involving heating upgrades and insulation.

Grants are administered by agents working on behalf of energy companies. Agents collect client details, perform home energy surveys and arrange works for successful applicants.

The Councils involvement is to simply vet applications, ensuring qualifying conditions are met.

For more information, please email:

Unfortunately, the scheme does not apply to Social Housing tenants.

Application Form

Landlords and members of the public – please do not submit an application form to us yourself, it requires the partnership of an energy company or their agent before you do this, please email us for further details.

Worried about cold callers? We have a list of known contractors

Advice Form