Rechargeable repairs

If repairs to council housing need to be carried out because of wilful damage, neglect or lack of insurance then tenants will be asked to pay the repair costs. These are known as rechargeable repairs.

The aim of the policy is to ensure that:

  • In line with the Councils Tenancy Agreement, The Housing Service is able to recover the cost of works necessary; be that through wilful damage, misuse or neglect.
  • The costs are recovered effectively and efficiently.
  • The costs are recovered using a consistent approach.

The Housing Service operates the policy to ensure that:

  • We maximise the resources available to allow re-investment in our stock and provide services to our customers.
  • Responsible tenants /customers and members of the general public are not penalised.
  • Policies, procedures and agreements are adhered to and enforced when appropriate.

Tenants are responsible for the conduct of everyone in the household, including any visitors to the property or communal area.

People who cause damage to any property owned or managed by the Housing Service will be held responsible for their actions and for any costs. This is called recharging.
The ultimate decision to recharge will rest with the officer responsible for managing the recharge. With regard to repairs this officer will usually be the maintenance officer.  Recharges will only be pursued if the officer believes it will be cost effective.

An invoice will normally be sent, along with a letter explaining what the costs are for and who should be contacted if you want to query the recharge.

Invoices may refer to more than one type of recharge. In the interests of efficiency, more than one recharge may appear together on one invoice and/or be collected via your rent account.

Rent Services will be responsible for administering the recharge policy.

If an agreement is not reached to pay the recharge then any amounts not paid may be recovered via the courts or by any other lawful means the Council considers appropriate, such as recovery agencies.

If you are not satisfied

If you are unhappy with the decision to recharge, then you can appeal to the officer responsible within 14 days of receiving the invoice. If after appealing you are still dissatisfied with the decision you should complain via the Complaints Procedure.


Examples of repair recharges that may be incurred:

Empty Homes (Void) Relet Works

When a tenancy ends, the council may have to repair items that were the tenants' responsibility or have deteriorated due to the neglect of the tenant.

Tenants will normally be given the opportunity to put right any problems before the tenancy ends.

Costs following an Emergency e.g. Fire or flood

It is recommended that all tenants take out a household contents insurance policy.

Costs incurred by the Council where a tenant or customer is not adequately insured in respect of fire/flood or other emergency.

Property Damage/Abuse or Neglect by a Tenant

Where it comes to our attention that a current tenant is responsible for damage to either their own property or damage to common parts, for example, a block of flats, then the appropriate Housing Staff will initially deal with the matter as a breach of tenancy and will inform the tenant that they should repair the damage at their own cost and within a certain time.

If the tenant does not comply with a specific request then the officer will consider whether the works should be undertaken by the Council and to recharge the tenant.

In some situations it may be necessary to undertake repairs immediately for example if further damage to the property may be caused by not ordering the repair or if the Health and Safety of the tenant or others are at risk by not ordering the repair, if damage to common parts of a building is caused and other tenants/clients are affected.

The Tenants Handbook refers to the measures the Council can take with regard to breaches of the conditions of tenancy.

Transfers and Mutual exchanges

Any costs incurred by the Council, particularly relating to wilful damage or neglect by the tenant(s) or tenant(s) household preceding or following a transfer or mutual exchange will be recharged. The Council may recharge all parties to a mutual exchange.

Works Requested

Requests for works to be carried out that are not Council responsibility e.g. replacement lost keys, changing locks, costs involved in gaining access, etc will be considered. Such works are often emergency works and a recharge account may be set up immediately.

Cost of Removing Rubbish/ Untidy Gardens

If a current tenant / client is guilty of dumping rubbish or their garden needs clearing, the appropriate Housing Staff will in the first instance treat the matter as a breach of tenancy or agreement. However, if the Officer decides that it is more practical to get the necessary work done and to recharge the tenant/client then they may do so.

Members of the public who dump rubbish on Council land will be recharged the costs incurred.

Wilful Damage/Vandalism

If a tenant, visitor / relative of a tenant / client or a member of the general public is found to have caused wilful damage to Powys County Council property then in the first instance Housing Staff will pursue the matter via the police.

Compensation may be applied for through the Courts, which will outline the actual cost to repair the damage and costs incurred by the authority in organising the repair.


  • Address:
    Heart of Wales Property Services
    Unit 39
    Vastre Industrial Estate
    SY16 1DZ
Call charges