Apply for council housing

We now have a Common Allocation Scheme which applies to everyone waiting for Powys County Council social housing.

There is no application form. 

The first step is to contact one of our First Contact Officers on 01597 827464 or call into your local council office. They will have a chat about your circumstances and assess whether you are eligible to go onto our waiting list.

In order to be given priority onto the housing register, you must be in housing need and ready to move. If accepted, your case will be referred to a Housing Management and Options Officer who will register your details and agree with you whether social housing is the right option for you.

All options will be considered to find the solution which is best for you.

Sheltered properties

We have a number of sheltered properties, including both bungalows and flats which are suitable for the elderly, throughout the county. To be eligible for such accommodation, you must qualify as per the Common Allocation Scheme policy – (see link below) and either you or your partner should be over 60 years of age. 

For further information on where our elderly accommodation is situated and the facilities and support available, please contact us using the contact details on this page.

Housing Associations

Following the successful pilot in the Newtown area, the following Housing Associations have signed up to the Common Allocations Scheme and as from November 2015 will be joining the register:

  • Newydd Housing Association
  • Melin Homes
  • Wales and West Housing
  • Mid-Wales Housing Association
  • Grwp Cynefin
  • Gwalia
  • Clwyd Alyn

Documents & Links:

Download a leaflet summarising how to apply for housing

View the Common Allocations Scheme - policy

View the Common Allocations Scheme - procedure

Look at a map of Powys and our Housing Offices


To find out more about housing in Powys, contact the Housing Service on the numbers below or call into one of our local area offices.


  • Address:
    Housing Area Office
    Ystradgynlais Area Office
    Hendre Ladus
    SA9 1SE
Call charges

Come and see us

You can call in at Newydd's offices at St David's House, New Church Street, Newtown between 9am - 3pm Monday-Tuesday and Thursday-Friday.

If you require money advice, Money Advice Surgeries are also being held every other Wednesday at Newydd’s office in Newtown.

Properties outside waiting lists

Sometimes we can offer properties outside the waiting lists. When we have properties available we will list them. Follow the link below.

Available Council and Housing Association properties