Councillor complaints

Complaints against County Councillors should be sent to the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales at:

Public Services Ombudsman for Wales

1 Ffordd yr Hen Gae


CF35 5LJ

Tel: 0300 790 0203

Fax: (01656) 641199



The County Council does not investigate complaints from the public about County Councillors. Advice regarding your complaint can be sought by contacting the Monitoring Officer.

What you can complain about

All Councillors are bound by the Council’s Code of Conduct. Only complaints where it is believed that a Councillor may have breached this code of conduct should be sent to the Public Services Ombudsman.

What is the Code of Conduct?

The Code sets out a number of general principles which Councillors must follow when undertaking their public duties and covers issues such as:-

  • standards of personal behaviour;
  • relationships with members of the public, paid council officials and other councillors
  • procedures for registering and declaring personal interests;
  • procedures for dealing with any offers of gifts or hospitality 

As part of the ethical framework for local government set out in the Local Government Act 2000, every Councillor when elected and before they take up office has to sign a declaration agreeing to abide by their Council's Code of Conduct.

View the Code of Conduct here