Footpaths, bridleways and other public rights of way

Public rights of way are open to everyone. They can be roads, paths or tracks and can go through towns, countryside and over private property. Powys has over 12,000 individual public rights of way, many of which are used for recreation – particularly walking, cycling, horse-riding and driving ‘off-road’. 

Footpath signage

Footpaths can only be used by walkers. You can take a ‘usual accompaniment’, such as a pushchair. You can take a dog with you, but you must keep it under close control.

Please note that footpaths are not the same as ‘footways’, which is another word for pavements. If you have a problem with a footway please see our page about reporting a problem with a road, pavement or bridge.

Bridleway Signage

Bridleways can be used by walkers, cyclists and horse-riders. There may also be rights for stock-droving, such as with sheep and cattle. 

If you need accurate information on the route, then you can inspect the Definitive Map This is available to view at The Gwalia, Llandrindod wells.

Restricted Byways

A new category of right of way, formerly known as a Road Used a Public Path (RUPP). The rights are the same as for bridleways, but you can also use horse-drawn carts and carriages. You can’t drive motorised vehicles on restricted byways. 

Byway open to all traffic Signage

These have the same rights as restricted byways, but you can also drive motorised vehicles. 

Where are Public Rights of Way?

Ordnance Survey ‘Explorer’ maps give general information on public rights of way. However, they aren’t 100% accurate, as they don’t always reflect changes to the path network. If you need accurate information on the precise line and status of a route, then you should inspect the Definitive Map which is maintained by the council.

What about private rights?

We don’t keep records of private rights of access (easements). If you have any issues with private rights, you should seek legal advice.