Council Tax help for carers

We are building a new website designed to help you do more online with us and to help us track, respond to and update you about your requests.

We will be gradually moving items to the new website over the coming months and listening to your feedback so that we can make more improvements.


Please use our new website to view this page

If you care for someone and live with them, you may not have to pay Council Tax.


A carer may not have to pay Council Tax if they:

  • live in the same property as the person that they are caring for,
  • provide care for at least 35 hours per week,
  • are not providing care for a spouse or a child under the age 18.

The person being cared for must be entitled to one of the following state benefits:

  • An attendance allowance
  • The highestor middle rate of the care component of a disability living allowance
  • The appropriately increased rate of disablement pension
  • An increase in a constant attendance allowance
  • The standard or enhanced rate of the daily living component of personal independence payment
  • Armed forces independence payment under the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces.

Care workers

A care worker may not have to pay Council Tax if they are employed for at least 24 hours per week but their earnings do not exceed £44 per week.

They must also be living in the same property as the person they are caring for or living in a property provided for the care work.

Application form

Apply for a carer's Council Tax exemption  (Opens in a new window)

If you've left your property empty (unoccupied) in order to provide care, your property may be exempt from Council Tax.