Explain a Council Tax bill

Please note from 1st September our phone lines will be available for 9am until 1pm only Monday to Friday. We may experience a high volume of calls during this period and thank you for your patience.

We can give you information about your Council Tax bill and your account. This includes payments you’ve made, money you owe us and any discounts you may be able to get. We can also send you copies of your bills.

The Valuation Office Agency decides which band each property is in. We then set the Council Tax for each band. You can find out which band your property is in or If you think your property is in the wrong band, you can find information by visiting the valuation office website.

Property band values;

  • A Up to £44,000
  • B £44,001 to £65,000
  • C £65,001 to £91,000
  • D £91,001 to £123,000
  • E £123,001 to £162,000
  • F £162,001 to £223,000
  • G £223,001 to £324,000
  • H £324,001 to £424,000
  • I  £424,001 and above

Council Tax charges by area

If you’re the only adult living in your property, you may be able to get a 25% discount on your council tax. For information about this and other discounts available please see our section: Find out if you can get a council tax discount.

If you own a periodically occupied property (second/holiday home) you will have to pay the full council tax charge up to and including the 31st March 2017.

The Council has determined that from the 1st April 2017 to charge a council tax premium of 50% on second/holiday homes. A second/holiday home is defined as “a dwelling which is not a person's sole or main home and is substantially furnished”.  

Further information regarding the council tax premium and exceptions to the premium can be found at council tax premiums.