What do I do with my recycling and rubbish (household)

All recyclable waste should be placed in your recycling containers and any leftover non-recyclable waste should be placed into the wheeled bin or purple sacks. Items which are too big should be taken to a household waste & recycling centre. You can also ask us to collect large items.

Red box and net - Plastic and Cans
Red box and net - Plastic and Cans

Clean food & drink cans
Aluminium foil
Clean plastic bottles (Rinsed, squashed, lids removed)
Plastic bottle tops & lids
Metal bottle tops & jar lids
Aerosol cans
Clean plastic food trays
Clean pots & tubs

Download a leaflet about plastics

  • Plastic film
  • Plastic magazine wrappers & bags
  • Polystyrene
  • Crisp packets
  • Electrical items
  • Large plastic items
  • Paint tins
  • Oil cans
  • Foil yoghurt pot lids
  • Carrier bags
  • Cling film
  • Bubble wrap
  • Vegetable & food bags (frozen food bags and food packaging)
  • Any soft plastic items
  • Mixed material - plastic items
  • Pill blister packs
  • Plant pots and seed trays

Download a leaflet about plastics

Aqua Box - Bottles and Jars
Aqua Box - Bottles and Jars

Clean glass bottles
& jars
(lids removed)

Broken glass
Plate glass
Glass cookware (Pyrex)
Light bulbs

Blue box with lid - Paper and Card
Blue box with lid - Paper and Card

Newspapers & magazines
Catalogues & telephone directories
Shredded paper (in an envelope or
wrapped in paper)
Flattened cereal boxes & other card
Brown card (must fit in box)

Hard-back & paper-back books

Metalic or glittery wrapping paper
Large bits of brown card
(too big for the box)
Tetra type drinks cartons

Caddy with Liner - Food waste
Caddy with Liner - Food waste

Leftover cooked & raw food
Meat, fish & bones
Vegetables & fruit
Bread, cakes, pastries
Rice, pasta & beans
Tea bags & coffee grounds

Any type of packaging
Food trays, containers,
plastic bags & foil.
Carrier bags
Large bones
Garden waste
(flowers & plants)
Animal litter
& straw from

Image of a wheelie bin

Black bin - Waste you can’t recycle
When putting your wheelie bin out for collection, the lid must always be fully closed. Rubbish that doesn’t fit inside the bin or that you leave on the floor next to it will not be taken.

The black wheelie bin is for anything left over that can’t go into the recycling boxes or food waste caddy. We’re no longer giving out black sacks.
If you often have more recycling than will fit into your containers, you can ask for more recycling boxes.

If you can't accommodate a wheeled bin we will assess the property and will provide you with a roll of 52 purple sacks instead. This is the same capacity as a standard wheeled bin collected every three weeks.

If you are recycling as much as possible, you should have enough space with your wheeled bin or allocation of purple sacks.  However, if you still have too much waste you can buy the purple sacks for £51.88 per roll of 26 which is to cover the extra collection costs. Call us to order on: 0845 602 7035.


This is the Enforcement policy of Powys County Council’s Waste and Recycling Service

You should put your containers on the kerbside, just outside your boundary.  All recyclable items should be placed loose in the boxes and not contained in plastic bags or other containers.

You can stack the boxes on top of each other to save space. If you think the containers will block the footpath please put the containers just at the boundary.

Remember to take your containers off the footpath as soon as you can after they have been emptied. 

Tell us if your bin collection has been missed