Apply for a trade recycling permit

When you obtain a recycling permit from us, your business / organisation can use the Household Waste and Recycling Centres or community recycling sites to dispose of clean recycling.

Application form

Apply for a permit  (Opens in a new window)

Fees will apply.

Contact us for more details.

It is against the law to get rid of business waste by pretending it is household waste – by using household waste or recycling collections or using the Household Waste Recycling Centres or other local recycling banks.

The Environmental Protection Act 1990 places a Duty of Care on all businesses that produce waste. For more information about your Duty of Care, please visit the Natural Resources Wales (NRW) website.

A waste carrier’s licence is a permit that is required for the transportation of wastes by businesses. As such, if you are depositing waste at the Waste Transfer Station you may need a waste carrier’s licence.
If you are unsure about whether you need a licence please visit the Natural Resources Wales (NRW) website.

Businesses can opt to have their waste collected by a private waste contractor. There are plenty of private waste contactors within the area who may be able to assist. For more information about local waste contractors, please refer to the Yellow Pages.
If you decide to pay a waste contractor to collect and dispose of your waste, you still have a Duty of Care to ensure that it is disposed of correctly.
You must make sure that:

  • Your business waste is kept secure and contained until it is collected
  • A licensed waste carrier collects your business waste
  • You keep records proving that a licensed waste carrier collected your waste

The law says that it is your responsibility to ensure your waste is not disposed of illegally, as fly-tipping or other litter. You must keep a record to prove that you arranged for a licensed waste carrier to collect your waste. If you cannot prove this you can be given a Fixed Penalty Notice or prosecuted.

You must complete a Waste Transfer Note when your waste is transferred for collection. The law says that you must keep a copy of this note for at least two years.
Natural Resources Wales (NRW) or the Council can demand to see the Waste Transfer Notes at short notice. If you cannot produce it, even if you had one and lost it, you will be in breach of your Duty of Care.

The law places responsibilities on businesses to ensure their waste is dealt with correctly.

Remember, it is a criminal offence to:

  • Fly-tip waste
  • Use an unregistered waste carrier to collect your waste
  • Transfer trade waste without creating a Waste Transfer Note
  • Fail to keep Waste Transfer Notes for at least two years
  • Fail to contain your waste to prevent its escape

It is an arrestable offence under section 33 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 to dispose of any waste incorrectly, and for hazardous waste, penalties are higher. The maximum penalty is £50,000 and 6 months imprisonment at Magistrates’ Court and an unlimited fine and 5 years imprisonment at Crown Court.