Highways: Highways Boards

The parish vestry was responsible for highways up to 1835, when the Highways Act enabled parishes to combine to form highway district authorities. The local boards of health, formed after 1848, and 1858 also had highway functions in urban areas.

 

 

Records

The links below lead to PDF documents.

Highway Board

Builth (Ref: B/HB/BU)

Crickhowell (Ref: B/HB/CR)

Talgarth (Ref: B/HB/T)
[see also Breconshire Quarter Sessions: Roads Boards B/QS/AR]    

Records

The links below lead to PDF documents.

Highway Board

Pool and Forden (Ref: M/H/F, A)

Newtown and Llanidloes (Ref: M/H/N)

Llanfyllin  (Ref: M/HB/B)


*Llanfyllin - see also Montgomeryshire Quarter Sessions: Highways 1864-89 M/QS/AH

Records

The links below lead to PDF documents.

Highway Board

Knighton (Ref: R/HB/KN)

Painscastle (Ref: R/HB/PA)

Additional Information

The Highways Act, 1862, empowered justices of the peace to compulsorily unite rural parishes into highway authorities administered by a board, where they thought it necessary.

After 1888 the responsibility for main roads was transferred to county councils, and in 1894 urban and rural district councils took over minor roads.

Clear