Ask us to research our archives for you

photo of a Powys street in 1840

You can visit the Powys Archives Office to use the documents, catalogues or microfilm readers free of charge. If you can’t come in yourself, we can do the research for you.

We can give you information about the records and other sources we hold and how they can be used for research, and this information is free. For detailed searches of our catalogues you will be charged a research fee.

Use the application form to give clear details of your research requirements.

Specific searches, e.g. searching for entries in parish registers or census returns, are quite straightforward. Longer searches, like checking workhouse minutes, are possible but would obviously take more time. We can’t accept broad requests, like information on the growth and development of a town. The County Archivist reserves the right to refuse a search, or to impose a limit on the length of time we can spend on it.

The research fee is payable after we have done the research.

The research fee is still payable even if the research yields no results.

Research costs £15.00 per half hour (for up to two hours).

We accept cheques payable to Powys County Council and drawn on a bank with a UK branch. Alternatively you can pay online, by debit or visa card, using our online payments facility.

How long will it take?

Once we have received your request form we aim to answer all enquiries within four weeks, but occasionally a backlog of work may cause delays.

We can usually do small ‘look-ups’ (one entry only in a specified parish register or census return) for £15.00 (inc VAT).

When we’ve finished the search we will send a report, by email or by post, giving full details of the sources checked and information found. We’ll also let you know how much you owe us.

We will confirm your request via email. If you have not heard from us within 5 working days please contact us via telephone.

The libraries hold copies of trade directories, newspapers, periodicals and local history publications. Further details can be viewed here, with material listed in our section on additional sources.

If the sources you are interested in are held by Powys library service then you will need to apply as follows:

Breconshire – apply to Brecon library 

Montgomeryshire – apply to Newtown library

Radnorshire – apply to Powys Archives.

Ask for archives research

  1. Where possible please include records to be searched
  2. Please tell us how much research time you require. Do not send any money at this stage
  3. Copyright declaration in the event of photocopied published or unpublished material being supplied.
    I declare that:
    - I have not previously been supplied with a copy of the same material by you or any other librarian
    - I will not use the copy except for research for a non-commercial purpose or private study and will not supply a copy of it to any other person
    - To the best of my knowledge, no other person with whom I work or study has made or intends to make, at or about the same time as this request, a request for substantially the same material for substantially the same purpose.

    I understand that if the declaration is false in a material particular, the copy supplied to me by you will be an infringing copy, and that I shall be liable for infringement of copyright as if I had made the copy myself.


  • Twitter:
  • Address:
    Powys Archives
    Unit 29 Ddole Road Enterprise Park
    Ddole Road
    Llandrindod Wells
    LD1 6DF
Call charges