Report adult abuse

image of a phone

If you are being harmed or abused, or you’re worried about somebody else, please report it. If you report a concern and it turns out that nothing has happened you won’t get into trouble if you really thought there could be a risk.

Please report possible abuse immediately.

We all have a responsibility to look after each other.

When you report abuse try and give as much information as you can, but don’t worry if you don’t know or can’t remember everything. These are things you might be asked about:

  • the name, address and date of birth of the person who has been abused
  • any details about the person or people who may be responsible for the abuse
  • the name and address of anyone who may have seen what happened
  • a description of what happened, the date, the time and the place
  • anything that was done to keep people safe
  • whether anyone else might be at risk

Sometimes people who are abused don’t want anyone to report it. This might be because they are ashamed or are frightened of what might happen to them. They may also be worried about what might happen to the person harming them, especially if it’s someone they’re close to.

It’s important to respect other people’s wishes, but someone who is harming one person may be harming others. This means you may have to report a concern even if the victim does not want you to. The police and health and social services may have more information, so they can see the whole picture.

If you report a concern and it turns out that nothing has happened you won’t get into trouble if you really thought there could be a risk.

Your concern will be taken seriously and will be followed up by trained and experienced staff who have responsibility for adult protection. This includes the police, health and social services, or the Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales.

We won’t usually act without the agreement of the person who might have been abused. However, we will have to do something if other people could be at risk. Action may also be taken if the victim doesn’t have the mental capacity to make decisions about keeping themselves safe or report what has happened.

If a crime might have been committed the police will get involved.

If no crime has been committed, health and social services staff may investigate.

The aim of an adult protection investigation is to find out if the person has been harmed, to find out what happened and to make sure that they – and anyone else who might be at risk – is safe.

Report abuse

If you see or hear someone being harmed or abused, or someone has told you they are being harmed or abused:

In an emergency, don’t wait – call 999.

  • Do get medical help if they have been hurt
  • Do call the police if you suspect a crime
  • Do listen and reassure the victim
  • Do preserve evidence (the police will tell you about this)
  • Don’t push for information about what happened

You can call:



More Information

Powys Regional Partnership Board  - You will find the Joint Commissioning Strategy for Domestic Abuse in Powys 2016-2019 under 'Key strategic documents' on this page. 

Dyfed Powys Police


Healthcare Inspectorate Wales

Welsh Government (Adult Protection)