Get help with sight loss

image of visual imairment

If you have a sight loss that affects your day to day life, there is help available.  We help children and adults who have a visual impairment with information & support to help you manage independently, both in your own home and out and about.

What sort of help is there?

We employ fully qualified Rehabilitation Officers who can assess your needs.

We can also help you learn new skills and provide information to carers.  

Whether you are just looking for some information or more detailed advice and support, get in touch. If you would like an assessment, this can be arranged, normally in your own home.  

What does an assessment involve?

The assessment will identify the problems that your reduced vision is causing you on a day to day basis. The Rehabilitation Officer will work with you to put together a rehabilitation plan which will list the help you need to live independently. This may range from simple things like putting tactile markers on your cooker and teaching your carer to guide you safely, to more complex support like teaching independent outdoor mobility using a cane.

You will be able to work through your rehabilitation plan at your own speed.   

Dual Sensory Loss

If you have a ‘dual sensory loss’, that is, a significant difficulty with both your hearing and your sight, it can cause problems with:

  • mobility and getting out and about
  • communication
  • dealing with correspondence
  • managing daily tasks

You can request an assessment of all your sensory needs through either the Hearing Loss or Visual Loss services provided by Powys Social Services.

How do I get help?

If you have problems with your sight, you can be referred to the Visual Impairment Team at Powys Social Services. You can be referred by:

  • An optician
  • An ophthalmologist
  • Your doctor
  • Another professional or support worker

You can also refer yourself and ask for an assessment using the button below:

More Information


A national organisation providing information, advice and services for people with a dual sensory loss.

SENSE Cymru, Ty Penderyn, 26 High Street, Merthyr Tydfil, CF 47 8DP 

Tel: Voice: 0845 1270090
Fax: 0845 1270091
Text: 0845 127 0092
Email:  cymruenquiries(at)


  • Address:
    Sight loss services
    Neuadd Brycheiniog
    Cambrian Way
    LD3 7HR
  • Address:
    Sight loss services
    The Gwalia
    Ithon Road
    Llandrindod Wells
    LD1 6AA
  • Address:
    Sight loss services
    The Park
    SY16 2NZ
  • Address:
    Sight loss services
    Ystradgynlais Area Office
    Hendre Ladus
    SA9 1SE
Call charges