Get help with hearing loss

image of hearing loss

If you are deaf, or have a hearing loss affects your day-to day life, there is help available. We help children and adults with a hearing loss to live as independently as possible.


How do I get help

If you’re deaf or have problems hearing (even if you have hearing aids) you can be referred to the Hearing Impairment Team at Powys Social Services. You can be referred by:

  • your doctor
  • an audiologist
  • another professional or support worker

You can also refer yourself and ask for an assessment using the button below:

We employ specialist workers for people who are deaf or hard of hearing and we can assess your need for information, support, counselling and equipment.

We have a small budget to provide communication support such as sign language interpreters, speech to text facilities and lipspeakers for people who need access to social care services.

The Social Services department can lend you equipment to help you be independent at home. For example:

  • flashing light doorbells
  • personal television amplifiers: enable people with hearing problems to adjust the volume of the television through headphones without disturbing other people.
  • domestic loop systems:  amplifiers can be used with hearing aids that have a loop receiver.
  • text telephones.
  • alarm clocks with a flashing light or a vibrating disc.
  • visual alarms for deaf parents/carers.

If you have a ‘dual sensory loss’, that is, a significant difficulty with both your hearing and your sight, it can cause problems with:

  • mobility and getting out and about
  • communication
  • dealing with correspondence
  • managing daily tasks

You can request an assessment of all your sensory needs through either the Hearing Loss or Visual Loss services provided by Powys Social Services.

Telephone aids: A variety of aids are available through British Telecom. BT will provide some equipment such as an Extension Bell, free of charge to customers who are hard of hearing or deaf. Ring Freephone: 0800 800 150 for details.

Flashing smoke alarms: These can be fitted by the Fire Service and are free of charge.  Tel: 0800 3899279

The NHS provides free hearing aids to patients with impaired hearing. Your GP can refer you to the nearest clinic for a hearing test. Many clinics offer repairs and batteries.



Watch these pages in 'British Sign Language’

The following pages can also be viewed in 'British Sign Language':

Search and apply for jobs

Report child abuse

Report adult abuse

Recycling and rubbish

Powys People Direct

Pay council tax

Apply for benefits

Just look out for this sign:

British Sign Language website

More Information

Volunteer groups

Llanidloes Hard of Hearing Support Group

Contact 02920 333034 for details.

Radnor Deaf and Hard of Hearing Support Group

Contact 01597 827102 for details.

Hard of Hearing Club, Llandrindod Wells

Meets on 3rd Monday of the month 2 p.m.

Contact: 01597 827102 for details.

National Organisations

British Tinnitus Association

Ground Floor, Unit 5, Acorn Business Park, Woodseats Close, Sheffield S8 0TB.

Tel: 0800 018 0527.

Deaf Association Wales

British Sign Language Cultural Centre, 47 Newport Rd, Cardiff CF24 0AD

Tel: 0845 1302851 (voice), 0845 1302853 (text).



Action on Hearing Loss Cymru

Anchor Court, Keen Road, Cardiff, CF24 5JW

Tel: 02920 333034 / 07939 169191


Wales Council for Deaf People

Glenview House,Courthouse Street, Pontypridd, Mid Glamorgan, CF37 1JY

Tel: (01443) 485687 (voice), (01443) 485686 (text)


A national organisation providing information, advice and services for people with a dual sensory loss.

SENSE Cymru, Ty Penderyn, 26 High Street, Merthyr Tydfil, CF 47 8DP 

Tel: Voice: 0845 1270090
Fax: 0845 1270091
Text: 0845 127 0092


  • Address:
    Services for Deaf and Hard of Hearing People
    The Gwalia
    Ithon Road
    Llandrindod Wells
    LD1 6AA
Call charges