Get help with Autistic Spectrum Disorder

Image of a jigsaw representing ASD

An Autistic spectrum disorder (ASD),(including Asperger Syndrome, is a developmental disorder which affects the way a person communicates with and relates to other people and the world around them. The way in which people are affected varies from one individual to another and by age and intellectual functioning. The ASD Co-ordinator for Powys works with all the agencies involved to make sure that people with ASD – and their families – get good services.

The refreshed Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) Strategic Action Plan (SAP) inclusive of Delivery Plan for 2016-20 was published on the 2nd December 2016 and can be viewed here.

What sort of help is there?

It’s called a spectrum disorder because while people who have the condition share many of the same challenges, it can affect them in different ways. This means that we will need to meet you to assess your needs and find out what help could be useful for you.

The ASD assessment has 5 basic steps:

1.      Screening – done by your GP / other health professional

2.      Allocation – done by the ASD Co-ordinator

3.      Assessment – done by a trained member of the Community Teams

4.      Second Opinion – interview / second assessment by a specialist ASD team member

5.      Identification of support needs

We also work with lots of other organisations to develop services for adults with autism.

Our Digital Story

What's On?

Click here to download poster
Click here to download poster
Click here to download poster
Click here to download poster
New dates from Easter 2018

Due to staff training the  IAS Service will not be running the Drop In Sessions at Bronllys on the 17th and 24th of April 2018.

The Drop In Service will resume again on  May 1st 2018

How do I get help

Please contact us for advice or information using the form below.

What sort of help is there?

Children in Powys are assessed by a Social and Communication Assessment Team (SCAT).

The SCAT will include an Educational Psychologist, someone from the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS), a Speech and Language Therapist, an Occupational Therapist, a paediatrician, Specialist Learning Disabilities nurses and someone from the Social Care team.

How do I get an assessment?

The SCAT will look at information from other professionals involved with your child, and the team will decide if an assessment is needed. They will ask you and your child’s teacher to fill in questionnaires, and there may be other assessments, such as:

  • physical examination
  • observing your child at school or at home
  • individual assessment with your child
  • an interview with parents

After the assessment, you will get a written report telling you what they have found out and what support you need. This will also be given to other professionals who work with your child, including their school. There’ll also be a feedback meeting where you and the professionals talk about the findings of the assessment. If you want to discuss the report further, there will be a further meeting for this.

How do I get help?

If you want an assessment for your child, you can get a referral from

  • your GP
  • a Health Visitor or other health professional who works with your child
  • a teacher, who will contact the educational psychology service

Schools & Education

Information about Special Educational Needs (SEN) in schools

Special schools & specialist centres



How do I get help?

Please contact us for advice or information using the form below.

More Information

Links to other websites:

 Welsh Government ASD webpage

Read the 'What is ASD' Leaflet, Autism: A Guide for Parents and Carers following Diagnosis and a range of ASD booklets for parents and professionals 

NHS Guide to Assessment in Adults

The NHS pages on assessment for dults, including information on how to get diagnosed/ assessed.

NHS Guide to Assessment for Children

The NHS pages on assessment for children, including advice for parents and information on how children are diagnosed

National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence

Tros Gynnal Advocacy Service

Tros Gynnal work with young people to promote and realise their rights.

Local ASD Support Groups

Powys Youth and Family Information Service

The Powys Family Information Service provides free, confidential and impartial information to parents and careers on childcare and related services in Powys for children aged 0–25

Powys CYPP

Powys THB


Powys Integrated Training is joint project between Social Care Workforce Development Programme (SCWDP) and the Integrated Workforce Development Implementation Group (IWDIG) to provide training and qualifications for people who work supporting students with ASD.