Ask for a blue badge (disabled parking badge)

image of a blue badge

The Blue Badge Scheme is a national arrangement that gives parking concessions to people with severe walking difficulties, whether they’re drivers or passengers. This helps people with the badges to lead a normal life by making it easier to get out and about.

If your badge is due to expire, a renewal form will automatically be sent out within 4 weeks of the expiry date. Please tell us if you have moved since the last application was made as the form will be sent to the last known address.

Temporary Badges

You can now apply for temporary, 12 month badges if you are recovering from or awaiting treatment for serious illnesses or injuries.

Examples of this may include:

• A person recovering from complex leg fractures sometimes managed with external fixators for periods of well over a year 

• A person recovering from stroke or head injury that has impacted on their mobility 

• A person recovering from spinal trauma which impacts their mobility  

• A person with a serious illness where the treatment may be debilitating, for example treatment for cancer 

• A person with severe functional leg impairments who is awaiting or who has undergone joint replacement (e.g. unilateral or bilateral hip, knee, etc)

Apply for a temporary badge using this form

Long term badges

Apply using this form  (Opens in a new window)

You can post your evidence documents to the address shown on this page.

We will return all documents to you by return of post.  Valuable documents will be returned by Recorded Delivery.

Alternatively, you can take in evidence documents to selected Customer Service Point.

If you live outside Powys, Apply using the online form

Step 1: Fill In the Form

The form asks in-depth questions about your disability and asks you to sign several declarations and supply some documents.

Please check you are eligible before you apply.

This is to stop fraudulent applications, as fraudulent use of Blue Badges makes it harder for genuinely disabled people who are entitled to use the scheme.

You can also phone, email or write to us to request a form, using the contact details on this page.

Alternatively, you can ask for a form at your nearest Library+ Point.

Step 2: Send it to us

Once you have filled in your form, you need to print it, sign it and return it to us including all your evidence documents and a passport style photograph with your name clearly written on the back.

We will need to see evidence of who you are and where you live, as well as evidence of your disability and any allowance you get (disability living allowance or PIP).

If you get Housing and/or Council Tax benefit we may already have some of the evidence to support your application. We can use this if you have given us permission on the form.

If you are the parent of a child under 3, you may apply for a blue badge for your child if they have a specific medical condition which means that they:

  • Must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried around without great difficulty; and/or
  • Need to be kept near a vehicle at all times, so that they can, if necessary, be treated in the vehicle, or quickly driven to a place where they can be treated, such as a hospital

If you don’t automatically qualify for a Blue Badge your application will be referred to the council’s social care team who will decide. We may ask your doctor to confirm your disability if you give us permission on the application form.

If you apply for a badge and don’t get one, remember that you can apply again if your condition changes.

Check your eligibility using the online eligibility checker here

The government reformed the Blue Badge Scheme to tackle badge fraud and misuse and to make it fairer and more sustainable. This means that we check very carefully to make sure that badges are only given to people who need them. If we think that a badge is being misused we may withdraw it.

A badge is only for the person it’s issued to – they should not let anyone else use it.

You are automatically entitled to a Blue Badge if you meet one of the following:

  • Receive the Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance
  • Receive the Higher Rate Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment
  • Are severely sight impaired (registered blind) or have a Certificate of Vision Impairment (CVI) or a BD8 Form, signed by a consultant ophthalmologist, stating that you are severely sight impaired (blind) and wish to be registered as severely sight impaired (blind) with the council. 
  • Receive the War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement
  • Receive a lump sum benefit from the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces Compensation Scheme (within tariff levels 1-8). You must also have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking.

You will need to send us evidence of your qualifying benefit.

If you don’t automatically qualify, you may still be able to get a badge if you: 

  • Have a permanent and substantial disability which means you can’t walk, or which makes walking very difficult. We may need to do a mobility assessment to see if this applies
  • Drive regularly and have a severe disability in both arms which would mean you can’t use all or some types of parking meter (or would find it very difficult to operate them)

If your badge has been stolen, please get a Crime Reference Number from the police.

If your badge was issued before 1 April 2012, contact us and we will send you an application form for a replacement badge. You’ll need to send us evidence to support your application.
Please send the form, a cheque or postal order for £10 made payable to Powys County Council (not cash) and one passport style photograph to:

Blue Badges,
PO Box 71,
Llandrindod Wells


If your badge was issued after 1st April 2012, there is no need to complete an application form. Please write to Customer Services, including the following:

  • Your name
  • Address
  • Date of birth
  • Badge number
  • A cheque or postal order for £10 payable to Powys County Council (not cash)

Once we have all this information we can send you a new badge.


  • Address:
    Disabled Parking Badge Scheme
    The Gwalia
    Ithon Road
    Llandrindod Wells
    LD1 6AA
Call charges